Life Regrets

Regret is quite a strong word but I feel it’s natural to regret some things in life. What I’m going to talk about is mainly things I would do differently if I had the chance to do them again but as I won’t, they are a regret. I thankfully don’t look at them in a bad way, just look at them as life lessons and realising that I made the decisions I did for a reason. Let’s get into the list then…

1. Learning to drive when I was 17

This is probably one of my biggest mistakes in life, I wish I just did it and got it over with when I was 17 and living at home because trying to learn to drive in my current situation is a nightmare. I keep pushing it back and back and I need to stop as it’s going to hinder me getting a job eventually. If only 17 year old Liz knew that…

2. Not spending uni summers travelling

Now this is a hard one because I don’t regret working over the summer periods either, that I’m glad I did. I just wish I took the opportunities I could’ve had – Camp America, volunteering, raising money to build playgrounds or something, I just wish I had done something like that. Life isn’t all about working, it’s about experiences and I have learned that the hard way.

3. Having a gap year between bachelors and masters

This is simply because I might have done better had I come straight from uni. The year out changed my perspective and mind as I was working in a Monday-Friday 9-5 job, not at uni 3 days a week and working 3 days. My mentality was all wrong this year and I feel that’s one of the reasons why this last year has been harder than I thought.

4. Having a period where I didn’t work out/go to the gym

This is kinda stupid but I feel like it’s one of the reasons why I’m struggling to lose weight now (along with having PCOS). I had just under a year where I didn’t work out, as I quit cheer and hardly went to the gym. I didn’t realise how much cheer kept me active and kept my weight/figure to what I was happy with. Along with not exercising, I wasn’t eating well and it’s all just rolled into one (literally).

So that’s the four main things that I regret in my life, there’s probably more but are minor in comparison to the ones which have majorly affected my life.

What’s one regret you have in life?

24 thoughts on “Life Regrets

1. Anxious Lady says:

I can completely relate to your post. One of my biggest regrets is not traveling. When I was in college, I went to my classes and worked 3 part jobs. I wish I made time to travel because who knows when I’ll be able to do it again in life. Great post!

Liked by 1 person

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you. Yeah i completely agree, as much as working was fun and I liked the money, I think travel and experiencing cultures would have been better for me! But I think that’s an age thing and I’m sure I can travel one day! X

2. africanstylefi says:

Great post. I definitely agree that it is natural to regret some things in life. One of mine is silly but I regret not doing crazy things when I was in University. I was always a very straight arrow student and didn’t really party. I am glad you look at yours as life lessons. I still struggle with mine from time to time but I don’t let it bring me down.

Liked by 1 person

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you. That’s not silly as I was like that in my first year when I was with my ex! But there’s also nothing wrong with being on the straight and narrow, uni is such a tough life experience and everyone does it differently! Be proud of what you’ve done ✨

Liked by 1 person

3. blacktulipbeauty says:

This is a brave post to write, I don’t even know where I’d start with regrets! But in some ways I’m glad some things have happened because it’s made me who I am. Learning to drive is definitely good to get out the way whilst you’re younger and have less responsibility and outgoings, my boyfriend is struggling with this at the moment! One of my biggest regrets is definitely taking my healthy body for granted and being lazy, if I had the energy of a regular person now I’d be taking every opportunity I possibly could!
    Alice Xx

Liked by 1 person

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you! I didn’t know either, it just came out of me haha! Me too, I think that the regrets also shape you as a person. I think regrets are natural too and whilst they suck, they help us move on and learn in life! Xx

4. According to Alice says:

I love how honest this post is, although we shouldn’t dwell on regrets sometimes it’s good to reflect so that you can learn and adapt. I completely agree with the travelling, I used to be so lazy in my holidays during uni and I really wish I’d saved up my loan and used it for better experiences. One thing I do really regret is how much time I spent on shitty people who never appreciated it, we live and learn though I suppose! x

Alice // http://www.accordingtoalicex.com

5. madewithlove99 says:

A really interesting read. I really wish I’d done more travelling when I was younger and, like you say, took the opportunities during summer breaks to do so. But you know what they say-you’re never to old to start something new.

6. katielauren says:

Love this post! I started learning to drive a few months before I turned 18 and I regretted not starting straight away for a short while, but it’s so worth it in the end! Also, I absolutely love that pin map! Where did you get it from? x

7. Brooke Pearson says:

I loved this post I don’t have many regrets in life as I believe most things happen for a reason. But, I do regret not believing in myself when I was younger! If I did my life may of been completely. I also regretting not telling my close family how much they mean to me so they knew. I also not regret giving my everything to things! Sometimes I get scared of the future and don’t really put my all into everything☺️
    Brooke x

8. gaiasorg says:

Nice post! It’s amazing that you put your regrets out there. I’m sorry that you have regrets, but regret is normal. Even if you’d o all those things differently, you’d still find something else to regret. Humans are weird like that for some reason lol
    Anyway, I hope you now have a way to enjoy life and pile up as little regrets as possible.

9. foundationsandfairytales says:

I completely agree with the not learning to drive one! I wish I’d have done it when I was younger because now as much as I’d love to drive I can’t warrant spending that much money on lessons when we’re trying to save for a house! One of my main regrets is not going to uni, I never wanted to go but I wish I’d have just gotten it out of the way so I could be in a much better paid job now!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

10. Sarah says:

Every one of my choices has brought me to where I am today so I honestly don’t regret any of it, even though I haven’t travelled much, got my license late and got my bachelor quite late. I’ve learnt and grown through it all. I’ve definately had times where I’ve felt some regret but thankfully I’ve moved past that now 🙌 Sarah Elle xx

11. Melina Elisa says:

I definitely understand what you mean by regrets. I actually can relate to you in terms of taking more summer vacations. I spent all 5 years of my college working through school and living at home. I honestly sometimes feel like I missed out on the true “college experience”. I wish I spend at least a semester dorming or took a semester off of work so I could have more of a normal college social life. Great post xx

Melina | http://www.melinaelisa.com

12. Katelyn Boucher says:

I had the chance to study abroad in my undergrad and I wish that I did. I let my anxiety keep me from going and a lot of other people feel the same way about that opportunity.

13. beckyrosecarver says:

Hello Lovely,

This is a great idea for a post, I may be inspired to do my very own!
    Life isn’t all that easy, I hate the term ‘regret’ as I don’t ever wish to regret the choices I make in my life but I really regret a few things and that’s fine. Everything happens for a reason though and it all makes sense after a while!

I mostly regret staying in a painfully toxic relationship at 17, it’s really messed things up for me in so many ways !

Becky – http://www.eyeful-events.com x x

• Liz Brannan says:

It really is and I feel that its just the way life pans out isn’t it! I’m glad you can take more trips now, want to start taking more now I’ve finished my education and have more time!

Liked by 1 person