What my Masters Degree has taught me

In the last 8 months, I’ve learnt more about myself than I have done in the last 22 years. A masters degree is not only educationally challenging, it’s physically and emotionally challenging. One thing I struggled with was getting back into education after a year out, I thought I would be ok – turns out it takes a while to remember how to take notes in a lecture!

Firstly, the main lesson that I’ve learned is that I can carry on, even when I want to quit. Something that I haven’t mentioned on here is how the course was not as I expected and near enough every day, I would come home crying and wanting to quit. It was such a struggle and there were many days that I didn’t even want to go, but with the support from my boyfriend, friends and family, I made it to the end of a tough term and I’m so glad I did.

I can commute to London and back at at all hours of the day. When I started, I wondered if I made the right decision to stay in Northampton and commute as opposed to moving down there, but after 6 months I had nailed everything down to a tee. I’ve got my commuter walk, the train carriage I like to get on and I am a pro at sleeping on a train. Maybe I’ll become a full-time commuter when I get a “proper” job as I keep calling it!

Just because I went to an average uni, does not mean that I am any less than anyone else and I know a lot more than I think. This is something that can be hard to realise when you are in a room where most people went to other Russell Group uni’s or had at least studied hazards. At the end of the day, I just kept saying to myself that we’ve ended up on the same course at the same uni so I can’t be that bad…

Finally, it taught me to believe in myself, to keep fighting for what I want and one day, I will be a scientist because thats who I was born to be.

What’s a lesson that you’ve learned about yourself recently?

Thanks for reading,

img_0297-1

30 thoughts on “What my Masters Degree has taught me

1. blacktulipbeauty says:

Girl don’t let the uni you went to affect your confidence! You still spent just as much time working your butt off to get to your masters degree as anyone else on that damn course so you should be bloody proud of yourself. I couldn’t even get through uni let alone onto a masters so I really do take my hat off to you – excited to see what comes next!
    Alice Xx

• Liz Brannan says:

Thanks girly! I had to keep telling myself that when I felt like poop about it but I got through. Thank you for the lovely words, yes so kind of you! I’m excited for what comes next, it’s so scary to wonder what it will be! Xx

2. Tyas says:

I am glad that made it to the end of the term! And don’t let the thought of being in an “average” uni let you down. I initially wanted to get into the top 2 uni in my country but didn’t manage to. Then I realized that my uni is just as great as the others and besides the academic, I also got to learn a lot of lessons here 🙂 ✨ I want to pursue Master’s Degree like you too!

• Liz Brannan says:

Me too! I know, it was one of the big clouds over my shoulders whilst there but I still made it through! Exactly that, and at the end of the day, it’s the certification that matters and not where from! Good luck with doing a masters in the future ☺️x

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you Rose! It was, hence why I was quiet on here but I’m grateful for the experience and opportunity! They sure are, probably two lessons that will get you through life dx

3. Sophie says:

You should be so proud of what you have achieved and how you’ve pushed on through!
    I understand the feeling about wanting to quit and coming home crying. I’m currently in my last week of my law degree and the pressure is just surreal! But I’ll be so proud when I’ve finished!
    Hope everything is going well x

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you, I am proud but I’m sure I’ll be better when it’s over! It’s horrible isn’t it?! So much to do with no time! Good luck with the last week, before you know it, it will all be done and you should be proud! Xx

4. Fairy Kissed Daisy says:

Uni was never for me but both my brothers went and (because they’re boys) they never talk about the changes they went through but I can see how it helped shape and mould them and even though I’m still sure not going was good for me I know it was right for them

5. ccol4him2 says:

Those are some excellent lessons. I got my B.A. in about 20 years going part-time due to a moderate disability and not being able to drive. If anyone had told me in the beginning that it would take that long, I would have said they were crazy and would have given up. There were many times when I wanted to quit. Seeing that diploma on the wall is worth it.

6. mflick1942 says:

Our most difficult challenges are sometimes the ones that show our true character and perseverance. I look forward to hearing about your success!

7. Disa Rastogi says:

It doesn’t matter what college or University you go to for ur studies. It’s what you achieve in the end matters more and there is a long way to go. Be confident you can touch the sky and be positive

8. kattieh says:

I don’t think it’s so important which Uni you went to – it sounds like you’ve put in a lot of effort, which is the most important thing!

9. abbiejadewanders says:

I can relate to this so much! I did my MA last year and honestly there was moments where I thought it would break me. Still waiting for the dream job now at the end of it all – just as tough! It doesn’t matter at all which uni you went to – well done for doing it! ☺️

abbiejadewanders.co.uk

• Liz Brannan says:

Masters are so hard and push you so close to breaking point! Yeah I’m not looking forward to the when I need to job hunt! Good luck to you and hope you find your dream job ☺️ thank you for commenting x

10. thewriteblogweb says:

Liz, you are so inspiring! I don’t know how I’d cope in your shoes – commuting every other day and juggling life with a masters degree – you are just incredible and I hope you are really proud of yourself because I certainly am!

Meg x | the-writeblog.blogspot.co.uk

• Liz Brannan says:

Aww thank you meg! I don’t know how I coped either and how I’m planning on doing it for work! Thank you so much, I’m sure I’ll feel better and more proud when I know what I’ve got etc! X

11. Malou says:

Wow, I think it’s amazing you carried on and worked through the hard times rather than giving up when things seemed to get really hard! And I love how you embraced the commuter life haha! I get the feeling that maybe you’re not as good just because you didn’t go to a Russell group uni, but you’re so right in that you ended up on the same course and it really does not matter! I think there’s a bit too much prestige attached to certain universities tbh.

• Liz Brannan says:

Thank you so much! I wanted to quit more times than I ever could’ve imagined this as it’s been so hard but I’m proud of myself for not giving up! Yeah the commuter life is fun… 😂 it’s such a horrible feeling and can make you feel small and worthless but it’s just the way the cookie crumbles!